Saturday, August 22, 2009

Crystal Cove to San Elijo


(sunset over the Balboa pier)
Day 53

Miles Traveled Since Last Blog: 60

Miles Traveled Total: 2001

Wow I really didn't realize it until I just typed in right then that I have ridden over 2000 miles on my bicycle in the past two months. I never thought I could or would ride that much in a year this time last summer. However now it feels like riding my bike is all I really want to do.

Like I mentioned last post it was an amazing time in Newport Beach, kicking it with my God Family on the Balboa Peninsula. Indubitably one of the highlights of the trip and a well deserved time of rest and relaxation.

Yesterday afternoon I went from the Peninsula on the short ferry to Balboa Island and hit the road again just a brief ride south to Crystal Cove. (A nice State Park area that has some vintage beach houses pic above) Mara my God-Mother knew a friend who rented a nice little cottage there. It was a very peaceful afternoon and evening spent along the coast perched high on a cliff. I took a nice walk on the beach and got some good reading done in my book. I think I feel asleep before 10 which was a nice change from some of the crazy nights of the week before. Below is picture of the hazy sunset I saw there.


Today I took off from Crystal Cove and really set off to San Diego. I was taking a picture of some coastline pretty soon after I left and when I was walking back to my bike I saw a rattle snake about 4 or 5 feet away from me (picture above) The weather has taken a nasty turn with overcast skies and a fiercly strong headwind coming from the south. I got to ride on I-5 today after missing the turn off to go into Camp Pendelton, it really wasn't that bad and at some points traffic backed up and I was going faster than the cars. An unfortunate thing is I couldn't get a hold of my friend in San Diego so I am going to camp one last night at San Elijo by Encinitas, CA. I think that I could finish my trip tomorrow but I might make two days out of it as well. It has been so long since I started I really don't know what else to be doing besides biking, camping and visiting people.
(picture of entering I-5, something I never thought I do on a Bike)


I am going to try and take some time and reflect on what this trip means after I finish and have a more conclusive long blog then. I just had some time right now and wanted to do a quick update.

Ride on.

-TE

No comments: