Monday, August 3, 2009

Goodbye Fog City, Hello Sunny Half Moon Bay



(picture above is a cool mural of San Francisco Music that was right by where I stayed and some of those typical row style houses)
Miles Traveled Since Last Blog: 35

Miles Traveled Total: 1330

So after a great weekend San Francisco style I am back on the road again, even though today was a relatively short one.

I stayed with an old friend from high school, Stefani Herr, and it was great to have a nice bed to sleep in and place to hang out at, thanks Stef so much for having me!

After getting into town on Friday, I went out on the town that night. I spent the remainder weekend riding my bike all around the city and checking out all the cool neighborhoods. Got some tasty donuts at Dynamo Donuts, with unique flavors like Spiced Chocalate and Maple Glazed Apple Bacon, in the Mission district on Saturday morning. Then rode through the hectic downtown and back along the waterfront. I found a cool wave organ that I had heard about, which is essentially a bunch of pipes in the water leading up to a a nice sitting area where you can listen to the music of the ocean. I made sure I was there at high tide when it was supposed to sound the best and while not quite as loud as I thought it would be it was a cool contraption. (pictured below)


On Sunday I found out that is was Jerry Day and a free tribute concert was being held at the Jerry Garcia Amphitheater at McLaren Park (view of the city from the park pictured above) in the south part of town. Got a little lost finding it but when I did the music has just started and it was a great vibe. Enjoyed that for the better part of the afternoon then just rode around some more.

San Fran again is great city for cyclists (if you don't mind hills). There are tons of signs directing you along routes to different neighborhoods and great signs for cars like this one below.


Today I went south and on my way out of twon rode through Golden Gate Park which was nice (weird thing though is they have a Buffalo Paddock pictured above). Got back to the coast and the weather got nice. It is a beautiful evening here in Half Moon Bay (I currently at the library and rushing to finish this post so I can go spend more time outside). Looking forward to seeing more of this amazing area. (some nice coastline south of Daly City pictured below)

So that is it for my journey. So more updates on other things. Changed the look of my blog to something that I think fits the style more, hope you all like it. Also at the bottom of the page there are some thumbnails from a bunch of pictures I loaded to Picasa (a Google based web album) check em out for more pics from the trip. And last but certainly not least there is a new link on the left to the new Resiliency Institute through Huxley all about the project in Guatemala, so indubitably check that info out. Way to go to my former peer CJ for putting that together.

That is all for now. It really was a great weekend and I am really enjoying myself thoroughly. Hope all my readers are having a great summer as well.

sincerely,

-TE

1 comment:

Laurie & Ethel said...

Hi Taylor,
Just got connectivity and received your voicemail - but you said your number so quickly that it's "blurred" - so the nice lady that we spoke to didn't know you! Which number is wrong, we wonder!?
Sorry to have missed you here, but met Martine (purely by chance) in REI last evening - amazing coincidence. She told us that she'd met up you again and that all was well.
Don't expect that we'll catch you up, since we're here for a fortnight for the Puzzle Party.
We're enjoying San Fancisco too - amazing so much life here after teh VERY quiet coastal cycling route thus far!
Will keep in touch though (let us know if oyu need to borrow any brakes or tyres!! (sorry, "tires"!).
All the best,
Laurie &" Ethel