Monday, August 24, 2009

How it Ends


Day 55

Miles Ridden Since Last Blog: 50+

Miles Ridden Total: 2000 + I'm done counting...

So I knew this day would come and I have been somewhat avoiding it but now this is really the last time I will post to this blog for my 2009 Border to Border Summer Cycle Adventure. It was quite the last day getting down to the border and I will elaborate on that more.

After leaving San Elijo (funny pic above of surfing statue with a bikini on) I enjoyed some of my last hills of the ride before getting near U.C.S.B. and descending in La Jolla. It was a fairly pleasant ride for most of the morning and I was making great time. Then after getting past Pacific Beach I reached mission beach and the end of the boardwalk that I was riding. Looking out past a pier I saw what I thought to be more boardwalk but actually ended on some rocks. I dragged my bike & trailor down some stairs in vain attempt to avoid riding on the street. When I had pulled back to the street my back tire was almost completely flat, I think it was the stairs that did it. I attempted to repair it with the last patch in my kit with not long lasting result. I was able to ride to the marina and got quickly directed to Moment Bike Store on Rosecrans st. I waited an hour until the bike shop opened at 1 pm, purchased some new tubes and a patch kit. The tubes ended up not fitting my tires that well and even though I couldn't find a hole for the life of me would not stay inflated for long. Some how I got one situated so it stayed inflated for the better part of the afternoon. That's when I started getting lost.


I wanted to pass through Imperial Beach like my original intention but ended up getting stuck by the Naval Base and then riding inland only to get hopelessly turned around in the town of Bonita. I eventually got put in the right direction and finally reached San Ysidro, only to find my back tire going flat again. I was less than a mile from my final destination and I was feeling completely despondent. I even got turned around in the big mess of all the duty free shopping areas with all the Sunday traffic. I pretty much walked my bike up to the walk in entrance of the border and felt a lackluster sense of accomplishment. I didn't really know what to expect, mariachi bands playing & people cheering perhaps but I really was just exhausted from the days trials. I indubitably didn't feel the accomplishment of riding the entire way across the country. (hence the very forced smile in the picture below)


I took the Hawaiian Lei (picture above) my mom got me for graduation off of my handle bars as some sort of symbolic gesture of completion. I ended up hoping on the San Diego Trolley Train that runs all the way down there and rode it back to Old Town north of Down Town. On the ride I was able to patch up and old tube to get my bike functional again. It really sunk in on the train ride that I have absolutely nothing going for me after this ride. It was more of a scary feeling than any thing else. But I don't fear the future I only have to embrace to possibilities that lay before me.

I made it back up to La Jolla after the last train stop to a friends place and I have no plans for the day except to write this blog, reflect and relax.

I wanted to take the last part of this last post to really reflect on what I think I learned during this journey.

For me personally this was just something I deemed necessary as a right of passage between education and employment. I feel like I really have done what was necessary on this adventure to call it complete, even though my plans for the future are null and I am considering riding back up. Now that I have been bitten by the cycle adventure bug I want to do this for the rest of my life. I am convinced if there is somewhere worth going it is worth riding a bike to get there. Even though I can be a little mad at my bike (like yesterday) it is always more appealing than a car. I want everyone one in the entire world to have the same passion for the wonderful invention that is the bicycle and to realize its true potential. I really know realize the saying that getting there is half the fun, for me it was more like 110%.

The amazing scenery of the West Coast has always been something that amazes and entices me. The diverse geography, plants and wildlife astounded me. From the Rainforest of the Olympic Peninsula to Sun baked beach of the Balboa Peninsula this countries coast line is something to be treasured. I have seen so much beauty these past 55 plus days I cannot even find words to explain it all. The best thing I can recommend is to get out there and see it for yourself.

There are a lot of people out camping and promoting tourism all across the places I saw. I think there is some irresponsibility amongst the way some participate. Recreational Vehicles have overtaken campgrounds and pervade scenic by-ways. In my opinion Camping has nothing to do with shelling yourself in a Motor-Home. These vehicles encourage waste accumulation and the amount of gas they consume is horrendous. Try a cycle tour, minimizes waste and NO GAS!!!

The trash was an interesting aspect of the trip that I wish I could have done more. It was overwhelming at times seeing how much garbage was strewn amongst the roadside, especially in parks. Due to the sheer lack of time and conservation of momentum I could not stop for every single piece but I do feel like I made a difference. The typical refuse that lays on the side of the road again stereotypes the people who seem to forget what trash can is. Fast food containers, alcohol, soda and in particular energy drinks were common. Not to mention the countless cigarette butts. It seems like if these things associated with bad lifestyles were some how ailed then we would eliminate a lot of needless waste that accumulates off the side of the road.

Thinking about how the people perceives something like waste reduction as factor risk is something that has been a difficult aspect of the journey. I wanted to do this as fund raising effort for my alumni at Huxley College for the Environment at Western Washington University. The project in Guatemala City partnering the Resiliency Institure with Oxfam had just gotten its feet wet this past spring and was something deserving of support. I do not think I got close to the original goal but it was something to raise whatever I did even though the bar was set high. Again thank you to everyone who did donate and if you haven't yet please NOW IS THE TIME!!! I have finished, so if you were waiting to see if I could do it, now's your time. I will update with the total amount raised by the end of the month.

People's support has been a important and necessary part of the trip. From the random people I meet along the way to old friends and family it has always been nice to be taken in. From seeing my immediate family in Portland and staying with my Cousin Gretchen, to spending the better part of this last week with my God Family in Newport Beach. To every curious person who saw that sign on the back of my trailer with my blog link on it, thanks!!! To all the fellow bikers who I met along the way, thanks for the friendly times and memories. Also thanks to my former peers, faculty and professors at Western who will be utilizing the money of the fund raising to benefit the research in the Guatemala Landslide Risk Reduction Project.

It was also nice to get support from the media and a product. First of all big thank you to JakPak and Jeremy for letting me field test one of their units. It was necessary addition to my trip that made many nights sleeps much more comfortable and drier. I highly recommend picking one up for hiking/biking/backpacking needs or for emergency situations. Also to Marissa Willis at the Northern Light, Brianne McDonough at the Western Front, Mike Prager at the Spokesman Review (who's article can be found here) & Jackie Tushinsky at San Diego Loves Green (who's article can be found here).

I think that this experience has really been the culmination of my life thus far and I really want to emphasize the astounding feeling of gratitude I have to everyone who helped me out along the way and supported me. I feel so honored to be able to take this time in my life of freedom and turn it into something inspiring to other people and supporting a good cause. Please keep spreading those good vibes along.

I guess that this pretty much does it for now. It quite the whirlwind of a summer and its not even over yet. I am going to keep the site active. I hope to keep this updated with the further progress of the fund raiser and information on what I am now doing in my life. This really has been such a great time and I don't want to say its over but I guess its just back to transition.

"There's nothing so stable as Change" - Bob Dylan

-TE

3 comments:

Unknown said...

taylor

i miss you so much. reading your blogs have given me such hope that maybe i can do something really cool too now that i am somewhat done fucking my life up. i can see that you are one of those people that kicks ass and takes names when it comes down to being an outstanding person. i hope that this righteous streak keeps on keepin on and i get to read about more adventures from one of my favorite people. amazing adventures await.

love always and forever
elise eileen

JSL said...

Taylor - Your mother and I are so proud of you and this accomplishment. We have read all of your blogs at the dinner table and this last one realy hit some emotional notes. We know you will succeed at whatever you try and we encourage to keep pursuing your passion for people and the environment. All our love, Dad and Mom

Andrew Yapp said...

Hi Taylor,
Insane good regards on your accomplishment! Writing it like you feel. I am so glad you made it... to what may really be the beginning of a journey. In my experience I've found the scenery and experience grand; yet it about the people that I meet that stick like fly paper.
So from one cyclist to another, keep it going!
Andrew from the Olympic Peninsula