Friday, July 31, 2009

If you're going to San Fransisco

Miles Traveled Since Last Blog: 180

Miles Traveled: 1295

So I made it in the San Francisco, Frisco, San Fran, the City by the Bay, etc... This city is constantly intriguing me with its excellent history, especially with two things that interest me, Classic Rock and Natural Hazards. This place is home to some of the best music to come out of the 60's and the city has many case studies for hazard mitigation (most notably the Earthquake and ensuing Fire of 1906). I have really enjoyed the city today (got in around noon) and plan to stay a couple days.

Since Fort Bragg it has been a lot more intense riding along highway 1 along the Coast. There was some steep sections with little to no shoulder and some parts high along cliffs with no guard rail. While it has been stressful at times I have been enjoying it thoroughly, very technical.

Camped at Russian Gulch that night and it was a nice spot just a little foggy. Pushed pretty hard the next day over some beautiful scenery, see picture above. Then camped just south of the border to Mendocino and Sonoma counties, Gualala State Park. I have a relatives that first migrated to America and ended up in Gualala and my middle name comes from their, my Grandmothers Maiden name, Elliot. So that was kind of interesting little thing to think about while I caught this nice sunset there. (pictured below).

Moved on the next day to Bodega Dunes State park. It was another off and on weather day with it being clear sometimes and very cloudy while windy at other times. I caught up with some British guys I have been leap frogging since Oregon and took their picture outside the Manchester, CA city limits sign, funny stuff. See picture below, thanks Phil, Aled & Arthur (I believe this was on his 22nd birthday)

From Bodega Dunes State Park I stayed last night in the last bit of Redwoods I think I'm going to see on my trip in Samuel P. Taylor State park. I went to bed before the sun even went down because of putting in so much time in the saddle and I was excited to get here to the city. I had a great day today riding through the northern suburbs on San Francisco and making my way across the Golden Gate Bridge was quite the experience. (Pictures Below)



Its been a fun day riding through the city and checking out places like the Wharf, Presidio, Civic Center, Haight Ashbury (pic below) & Golden Gate Park. I am staying with a friend from High School I haven't seen for a while and I am looking forward to great time while I am here.

Here's a picture of some trash from a couple days ago (I don't get pics from them all) and another one that fits with it too that I have been seeing a lot lately.



Thanks for all the continuing support and I hope everyone has a good weekend.

-TE

No comments: