Saturday, July 18, 2009

Making My Way in the World Today

Days Traveled Since Last Blog: 120

Days Traveled Total: 750

I have really realized during the last couple days on the long stretches of highway with no body but my own mind to pass the time, how utterly liberated and independent I am. I have no job, no home, no plans (besides this bike trip), no friends with me, close to no money and to be honest it is really one of the most amazing feelings I have ever experienced. Not that I plan to be this crazy vagabond that is going to travel the earth with no agenda but at this point in my life this situation really is working to my benefit. This Summer Cycle Adventure is just what I need to sort of what I really want out of this crazy world and trying to figure out what it wants out of me.

I apologize for that rant if it seems a little incoherent, it is something that I have been thinking about alot lately and needed to get it off my chest.

So the last couple days besides filled with lots of thinking have been some of the best of the trip. After Lincoln City the hills were steep in places but the wind was at my back and the weather broke through for some sunshine. I saw some beautiful scenery down the coast, as well as some wildlife, including a whale. Picture of it spouting below.

Got down to Beachside State Park for a the night and besides the fog it was nice, a little lonely I was the only one in the hiker-biker space. Yesterday brought more scenic views along the coast and some then onto the Sand Dunes. Pictured Below.

I stayed last night in Jessie M. Honeyman Memorial State Park right next to North America's largest sand dunes. This was a place I had always wanted to go and it exceeded my great expectations. It was great climbing around on these sand monsters. I even got to try a little sand boarding (like snow boarding but on sand with wooden boards).

A couple from California on a tandem I met in Forks, WA were at the campsite, Craig and Michelle, along with some nice guys from the U.K. that are doing a similar trip as myself, Aled, Phil and Arthur.

Today has been nice besides a strong wind that seems like it changes direction every five minutes. I am in Coos Bay currently headed for Sunset Bay State Park for the night. I can't believe I'm almost out of Oregon already (2 days left), it seems like I just got here.

Heres some trash that I got rid of in Florence yesterday, I like this state because you get 5 cents for every can, its a nice little way clean up the highway and make a little cash.



Hope everyone out there in the real world is doing fine. Keep in touch.

-TE

No comments: