Monday, July 13, 2009

Refelction after Relaxation

Day 13

Miles Traveled Since Last Blog: 140

Miles Traveled Total: 515

So it has been a while since the last post, so this one might be a little bit long. I am currently at my cousin Gretchen's apartment in Milwuakie, Oregon a couple miles south of Portland. I have been taking what I deemed to be a necessary break at this point. Seeing that this is my first big cycle adventure I need to pace my self and not overdue it.

The break has been very relaxing and enjoyable, the city of Portland is really a great place for cyclists. After leaving the Bay Center KOA I headed inland along the Columbia and took the Puget Island ferry across to Westport, Oregon. It was a very nostalgic feeling leaving my home state and not knowing when I will be back. I camped in St. Helens that night (After a tough ride on Highway 30) and then woke up early to make it into Portland on Saturday morning.

By pure coincidence or some grand synchronicitious event, my parents and younger siblings were attending the wedding of the daughter of some former neighbor friends here in the Portland area. I had the distinct pleasure of joining them at the Mc Menamins Grand Lodge in Forest Grove, Oregon for the reception. I was put up in the "Jerry Garcia" room and thought it all to approrpriate that this quote was on the wall.

"Synchronicity... There's a large element of what we do that we have no control over. We have to beg off from what's happening – it isn't us that’s doing it, we’re only like the tools through which it’s happening. And it's okay. We have faith . . . Our music is never counting. For us the One is always Now. In time – whether it’s 7/4 time, 4/4 time, or whatever – we’re always coming back to the One."


I would like to congratulate the young couple who was wed, Megan and Steven. As well as thank all my family and their friends for being so kind and supportive of my adventures. Thank you Clements, Novotneys, Coelhos, Niedermeyers and Pasketts.

I think now that I have stopped moving for a while it is a good time to reflect on what this trip has meant thus far. It has gone by so fast so far and I want to have time to absorb some of the lessons I have learned.

Traveling by bicycle is a totally different experience that anything I have done before. All of the senses of are enhanced and intensified. The sights are easier to see since they go by so much slower. The sounds are either intense and annoying ,like traffic, or soft and soothing like the babble of a brook or the chirping of birds. The smells are much more accessible from the endless exhaust which I have come to loathe to the crisp & moist sea breeze. I just feel a lot more in touch with my surroundings and it makes me appreciate the journey so much more.

The roadside waste clean up has indubitably been one of the more unique aspects of the journey. It seems to me like over half of the trash on the side of the road is from cheap liquor. I have picked up more Bud Light and Malt Liquor cans than I care to remember. It is a real disappointment to know that such intoxication while driving persists on top of the terrible litter problem. I probably only pick up a menial fraction of what is out there because really the amount is overwhelming. I have developed a strategy to stop when I see a concordance of trash and take a brief water and stretch break while getting as much trash as I can in the immediate area.

The people that I have met along the way have been nothing but supportive and it really has been a great inspiration to keep on keeping on. From the fellow adventure cyclists to the convenience store clerks everyone has a positive attitude. I can only look forward to all the amazing people I will continue to meet along my way.

As far as support for the research in Guatemala, people have been interested and somewhat perplexed about what exactly it is I am raising funds for. I have to first explain my major, and that usually goes with some details about Emergency Management and Disaster Risk Reduction. Then I have to explain the situation in Guatemala City with the lack of proper infrastructure in these communities. The project is in its initial stages and this money is going directly to Western Washington University and Huxley college for the research on how to lessen these peoples risk to landslides.

Peoples perception of risk is something that I have been trying to grasp when it comes into conversation. A lot of people are not aware of the hazards that exist around them and I don't know whether this could be considered as an ignorance is bliss situation or as something concerning. Sure people see the Tsunami Evacuation Route signs but when an earthquake occurs on the Cascadia Subduction Zone, do they know that they need to get out ASAP. This concept of risk perception is something I am still trying to wrap my head around and I hope I devleop a better way to analyze it throughout the rest of my journey.

Well it has been really nice to sleep in a bed the past couple nights and eat some real meals that don't consist of peanut butter and dried fruit sandwhiches. However I am excitied to get back on the road tomorrow and continue down the coast. Oregon is a beautiful state and I am estatic to explore some more of it. The trip has been the adventure of a lifetime thus far and only expect more to come. Thank you all again for reading my blog and following me, without you I would not be able to do this. I got my camera charger back so expect more pictures in the future.

PEACE

-TE

No comments: