Monday, July 27, 2009

Ups and Downs

Miles Traveled Since Last Blog: 130

Miles Traveled Total: 1115

So it has been a few days since a post so there is a lot to update on and I hope I get it all in.

The time after my last blog postwas great. Kathryn, her boyfriend Brendan and a fellow couchsurfer Max all went to the beach at Samoa and then a vegan potluck in Arcata. It was delicious and a great time including an acoustic set of a girl from Maryland named Anne and some fire juggling by a dude named Phil (pictures above & below)


After another nice night inside on a couch I headed south again to end up in the Redwoods again. I camped along Avenue of the Giants which is a scenic alternative to the 101 that I highly recommend. I camped at Burlington Camp Ground next to the Eel River with alot of the bikers I had seen in Oregon and days past. Picture of large toppled over Redwood's roots below.

Set off that day and finished with the Avenue of the Giants and moved into some very hot open rolling hills. The temperature got above 90 and there was a 10-15mph headwind, not to mention the hills. It was rather intense.

Today I biked over what I think might be the highest point along my route after Leggit, CA right at the beginning of Highway 1. The hill was a 7% grade for four miles but not as bad as I expected it to be. Getting back to the coast is nice, even though Highway 1 (nicknamed the Shoreline Highway pictured above) is indubitably intense in some spots. I am heading for Russian Gulch about 8 miles south of my current location in Fort Bragg.

It has been some of the most intense times on the trip in the last couple days with some of the most difficult terrain and trying situations. The shoulders of some roads are rough, small or sometimes unfortunately nonexistent with a lot of logging trucks and tourist RVs. The hills have been steep and plentiful but getting me into shape. I do have to admit that the trash has been minimal, I do see signs every where that say Littering Fine $ 1000 which I can appreciate.

Looking forward riding on Highway 1 for a while and getting to San Fransisco in a little while. Thanks to everyone for your continued support it really helps me get through the ups and downs of the trip!!!

Until next time.

-TE

No comments: