Friday, July 24, 2009

Couchsurfing in Eureka



Miles Traveled Since Last Blog: 60

Miles Traveled Total: 985

So I am again taking a little break in Eureka, CA after completing another state and almost half of my journey as far as my estimation goes. (This should make the entire trip around 2,000 miles!!!) I am staying with a very nice hospitable couple Kathryn and Brendan who just moved here a couple months ago from LA. I found them on a website called Couch Surfing which is for travelers looking for free accommodations and connections. I have been on the network for 6 months back when I had an apartment and tried to host but nobody really travels in the winter. This is my first time utilizing it as a surfer and it has been a great experience.

After my last blog I went back to Elk Prairie and found that a lot more bikers had made it there. I think there was a 12 or 13 total of us in the site and it was a great communal feeling of cyclists telling stories of the road and sharing tips.

Yesterday on the road was a nice fairly moderate ride from the Redwoods back to the coast. I caught some great pictures of some elk in the morning (pictured above). There was also some great coastline along the way too besides the fog, one of the pictures is at the heading of this blog. Made it to Arcata for lunch and checked out Humboldt State University (pictured below) a school that I got into when applying for colleges but never got the chance to personally explore. While I liked it I am glad that I stuck with Western Washington University, I miss that place alot and Bellingham in general.

Its nice to just take a day off and not have to ride my bike at all or even feel like I need to go anywhere. Kathryn and Brendan are very nice hosts they made a great Corn Chowder last night and we are going to a Couch-Surfing Vegan Potluck tonight that should be a really great time. But its back to the road tomorrow and continuing southward.

Hope all is well with all my readers. I give my best to my family in Texas for the wedding of my God-Brother Justin, I wish you all the best.

-TE

a Victorian style mansion in downtown Eureka

1 comment:

JSL said...

Miss you Tay and hope you are doing well (sounds like it!). We will extend your best wishes to the bride and groom. All our love... your family in Texas