Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Mama said there'd be days like these

Day 7

Miles Traveled Since Last Blog: 65

Miles Traveled Total: 225

So I am here is what was formerly the logging capital of the world and now is the mecca for teenagers obsessed with vampires, Forks, WA. I am currently not able to ride due to my back tire being flat and all my tubes being busted. I am kinda of down and out but really just playing the cards as they are dealt. I hopefully will get out of this place sometime this afternoon... hopefully.

The rest of the 4th in Port Angeles was decent and I got out of there alright. The next day I rode around beautiful Lake Crescent and took a dip in its mystifying blue waters. Camped at Bear Creek that night next to the Sol Dec River.

Then yesterday I had quite the day adventuring through the rest of the Peninsula. It was raining pretty hard but I didn't mind it was a change of pace from the sunshine. Made it through here, Forks, just fine. I was going to go to Kalaloch on the beach but decided that the beach is no fun in the rain so I detoured into the Hoh Rain Forest. About 1/2 a mile before the entrance to the National Park I had a break down with my back tire. This was my last tube and I knew that I was in trouble. The tear happened near the intake valve and couldn't be patched. A ranger gave me a ride to the campground and I spent the better part of that evening trying to fix my tire to no avail. The Hoh was beautiful and wet, I really wish I could have explored it more and not have been so frustrated with my situation. A fellow biker shared my site with me, Andrew, he was a very nice guy with a lot of experience doing this cycle adventure thing, he made me feel like an amateur (which I guess I am). Got a ride from some nice people back in to Forks (thanks Josh and Raimee) to hopefully fix my bike and get going again. But alas bike shop is closed and I am in a coffee shop charging my stuff and blogging.

I know that I would face hardships on this journey but I did not expect them so soon. I am really not trying to stress to hard (I did enough of that yesterday). I will take this situation and remedy it in due time. It will be a good lesson learned.

Hope all is well with everyone out there following me. Know that I am alright and will be on the road again very soon.

Thanks

-TE

1 comment:

JSL said...

Greetings Tay - I hope all is well. Looks like you are on the road again, down to the coast and onward on 7/8/09. I developed a Google Map to track your progress. Check it out http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=113456723465459326801.00046e33cdc8a607a4ccc&ll=47.670011,-124.303436&spn=0.231655,0.44014&z=11. Perhaps you can incorprate it in this blog or ingest the data in the map below...