Wednesday, July 1, 2009

And so it begins


Day 1.
Miles Traveled: 50

It has begun!!! I am currently enjoying my last dinner in Bellingham at my favorite Restaurant ,Casa Que Pasa, and decided to do my first blog post of the journey now.

Today I woke up early and checked everything on my bike to make sure it was legit. After a quick bite to eat I was on the road by 8:30 a.m. Northbound to Blaine.

It was a great morning ride to border and I made it to Peace Arch State Park right before noon . I had been through the border more than a couple times but had never taken the time to get out and enjoy the park that is between the two countries. It was a nice relaxing atmosphere watching people making their own journeys, I enjoyed it thoroughly.


The second half, i.e. ride back south to Bellingham was a little tougher seeing that I was already a little beat. I had to stop a couple times along the way and take a power nap on the side of the road (I think this might be a repeat occurrence during the trip). But I made it back to Bellingham safely and surely.

Along the way I did remember to collect some waste from the side of the road. While it was not nearly as much as I saw I thought it was pretty good for a first day. There is a picture of what I got before I recycled it. Theres also one of me in front of the Peach Arch as actual proof that I was there.














I think thats about it for now. I want to leave you all with some song lyrics that I consider to be the theme of my trip (or at least today), I almost teared up listening to it and how indubitably appropriate it is.

John Lennon - Watching the Wheels

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

Ah, people asking questions lost in confusion
Well I tell them there's no problem, only solutions
Well they shake their heads and they look at me as if I've lost my mind
I tell them there's no hurry
I'm just sitting here doing time

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go
I just had to let it go
I just had to let it go

heres a picture for Bellingham, how i will miss thee


until next time.

-TE

No comments: