Saturday, July 4, 2009

It's our last Summer of Independence... Do you remember?


Day 4

Miles Traveled since last blog: 50

Miles Traveled Total: 160

This leg of the trip has been the most intense and enjoyable. The Olympic Peninsula is an amazing place and I really hope to come back here some day.

Last night in Pt. Townsend was blast. I camped at Fort Warren State Park and went to the Festival of American Fiddle Tunes. I saw Jesse Lege, one of the most talented accordionists I have ever heard or seen.

I got up early this morning after another great nights sleep in my JakPak (thanks to Alex & Erica for letting me crash their campsite). I actually woke up just before the sunrise and walked out twoards the lighthouse to catch it. The first picture above is of Whidbey Island and Mt. Baker this morning.

The initial hills on Highway 20 out of Port Townsend where a little grueling but I made it to the 101 eventually. It was somewhat special reaching this milestone of the Pacific Coast Highway which I will be following for the majority of my trip.

I had heard about a bike trail that went along the 101 right around this area and I found it in Blyn. The Olympic Discovery Trail has to be one of the most enjoyable and scenic bike trails I have ever ridden. There were parks filled with streams and trees, suspended walkways and lots of scenic country side. All this secluded from the sound of traffic and such. I would have gotten all the way to Pt. Angeles too if they hadn't of blocked off part of it for the 4th of July fire works I am about to go see.

Pt. Angeles is a nice place from what I have seen. Caught a little bit of the Independence Day Parade but mostly have just been relaxing.

Heres the trash from this session. Not that much along that trail which I guess is a good thing.


until next time.

-TE

3 comments:

JSL said...

Sounds nice Tay.... Looking forward to those hills on Sunday. Keep sending the spots. PJ

JSL said...

Wow that was a beautiful sunrise!! Would love to see a picture of the Jakpak! Travel safe my son! We love you!!

Unknown said...

Taylor- It is so great to see you making your way down the coast...what an awesome trip! Great to hear about the purpose of the trip, besides "becuz it's there". Beth and I will be praying for you on your journey. May God bless you and keep the roads clear of pothotles. Keep it up!